Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Tip for Variegated Thread by Karin


Guest post by the ever so clever Karin:

Variegated thread is always so pretty, but it’s really hard to tell the color patterns when they’re one the spool.  And if you’re like me, you’re lucky enough to have a collection of beautiful Floriani threads, but I can never remember just exactly what they look like in a sew-out!

Actually, there are quite a few things I can’t remember, but that just comes with old age the territory I suppose.
So, what’s the solution?  It’s really simple – just stitch yourself a sampler!  Grab a fat eighth or any piece of fabric, stabilize it, and stitch away.  I didn’t even hoop it – I just used my zig-zag stitch, at the very widest and very shortest settings, to create a real nice satin stitch. 
Just be sure you stitch a row long enough to display the entire color pattern.  Store the sampler along with your thread, and you’ll always have a reference chart to show you what your threads will look like in a design.


See how different the color patterns can be?
You can build a reference chart for your fonts, too...making it super easy to compare them all at once:

Hope this helps you keep track of what you’ve got!  Happy stitchin!

Written by Karin for IHAN®

Thank you Karin!  Now I'm off to play with Maddy Jo for the first time....oh I so need to have some fun ME time...both "me" and Machine Embroidery time..:)


Smiles,
Kelly

9 comments:

  1. Wow...Thanks to Karin. (Does she have a blog?) Those are some great and practical idea. Someday I should sew out samples of everything. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Floriani varigated thread is really nice! I love the idea of stitching out samples! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. =) have fun, can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! Yippeeeee!
    Hope you enjoyed your me time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart idea. I'll have to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...