Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Raise Your E-Notion IQ - Kandi's Handi-Iron Product Review


If it's Wednesday then it is time to Raise Your E-Notion IQ here at IHAN.  Am I the only one who thought today was Wednesday?  Honestly....I was so focused on the Yellow Monster that I didn't even realize Wednesday was yesterday.  So...lets pretend today is Wednesday...just for the time that you are reading this post :)
I was introduced to Kandi's Handi-Iron while at the Checker Distributor Open House this past Sunday.  I thought it looked interesting....definitely worth a product review so I bought one.
 
 
 
Nick Coman (Dragonfly Threads), the guy who was demonstrating the iron for Kandi Corp at the Open House, told me the iron gets up to 425 degrees (linen setting).  I thought that was impressive and I also liked the handle design, the weight (10 oz) and the fact that it is 110/120V and 220/240V by just turning a dial. All you girls in AU will be thrilled about that! Just use your adapter and you are good to go.

This is what Kandi's Handi-Iron looks like out of the box.
The piece that looks like a nose guard for the iron slips off and guess what?

You just slip it under the black clip and that is the handle for the iron.  Cool ay? 
 
After I plugged it in, I turned the dial to linen (of course) but I realized I didn't know where the indicator was for setting the temperature  Upon closer inspection, I found it....see the arrow and the line in the photo above....smack dab in the center of the iron...yep that's the one....that is the arrow that tells you where to stop the dial for your settings. 

The first time I plugged in the Handi-Iron it smoked.  Nick told me it would.  The smoke is from condensation inside the iron and it stopped after the first time I heated it up.  I'm so glad Nick told me it would smoke....I would have thought something was wrong....nope...just burning off condensation.

Next....I need some very wrinkly fabric....so I wadded up some Kona Cotton.
 
 I started ironing the very wrinkled Kona Cotton fabric....and.....
 
Wahhhh Lahhhhh....and you see....no more wrinkles. You know I was surprised and impressed.

 
Then it dawned on me that the Handi-Iron was supposed to get up to 425 degrees.  How on earth was I going to figure out how hot it gets?  I only have a thermometer that takes human body temperatures...and this iron doesn'tave a tongue to stick it under.  So I ran to the neighbors and asked if they had a cooking thermometer.  This is the best I can do folks :)

 
Here is the neighbors thermometer (used for Thanksgiving I bet) cold.
 
Then I put it up against the Handi-Iron and took pictures while the dial moved up ...remember it was on the highest setting.
 
The red dial kept going....and going....
 
and going.....
 
Before it stopped back where it started.  I realize this thermometers not intended for irons and it stops at 190 degrees....but you will notice it kept going almost back around to the 130 mark again....which says to me this iron is pretty darn hot.  My hands could tell it was pretty dog gone hot too because it was tough holding on to the thermometer (don't try this at home....this was done by a trained professional...rofl).

Then I wanted to know how hot the Handi-Iron got in comparison to my "Hot Harriet" (my old cloth cord iron made by Westinghouse that I know gets very hot).  I'm in love with "Hot Harriet" for fusing because she doesn't have any steam holes on the bottom....which means no marks (little circles) left behind on your fabrics....and you might have noticed the Handi-Iron doesn't have those either....very cool!

I'm embarrassed to show you "Hot Harriet's" behind....I'll address that issue later.
I put the thermometer up against "Hot Harriet" ...she was set to linen as well.
Up and up the red dial went.....
and it continued to go up.....
Until it stopped back where it started....just like the Handi-Iron.  That's all I needed to know.  If this 10 ounce Handi-Iron gets as hot as "Hot Harriet" then that is enough proof for me....I'll never need anything hotter.

Another feature that impressed me about the Handi-Iron is the cord....it doesn't get in the way weather you are right or left handed.  The other small irons have the cord coming out the side....those flop over on me and I've gotten burned.  Excellent engineering in my opinion.  There was no excess packaging either....I really, really, really like that!!! 

The bottom of the iron is a non-stick surface and I was told it just wipes off if you get fusible on it.  So I tested that too....
 
here is a piece of Mistyfuse on my Goddess Sheet.....

 
and now here it is stuck to the bottom of my new Handi-Iron.....not pretty.  You have to admit that no matter how careful you are....some how some way....that fusible gets on your iron...right?  Right!!  So it's a good idea to know how well the iron cleans up.
 
This is what the iron looked like after I rubbed it on the fabric.  It did not come off....it sort of rolled up a bit.  I tried to scrape it lightly with the edge of thin plastic ID badge....and it still didn't come off.
 
I didn't want to hurt the beautiful non-stick finish on my new Handi-Iron so out came my Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner (this stuff so totally rocks). 
 
Look how well it cleaned off the fusible... like brand new! :)
So I treated "Hot Harriet" to a sauna as well....don't you think she deserves it?  Look how she shines........Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner is the best iron cleaner I've ever used...bar-none...including baking soda and water.
OK back to my new Kandi's Handi-Iron review.....

I highly recommend it for travel, workshops, classes and anytime you need a light small iron.  Do you need a heated flat pallet for straightening out ribbon?  Heat up the Hot Fix Crystals?  Check this out...

I took the handle off and plugged it back in.
Then I took this wrinkled ribbon and

pulled it back and forth across the surface of the Handi-Iron.  You can see for yourself....it straightened that ribbon out toot sweet!  
I called Kandi Corp and spoke to Dave, the owner, about the warranty on the Handi-Iron.  There is a one year warranty and they pay shipping if it is defective.  You know I loved that....nothing worse than buying something...having a problem and then having to pay more money just to get it replaced.  Dave also pointed out that on Kandi Corp's website there is a place to click in the upper right hand corner and you can have a live chat if you have any questions.  
Well, I think I did a good job of running the Handi-Iron through the necessary tests....I'm giving it 2 thumbs up!!!  Money very well spent!!
Smiles,
Kelly




14 comments:

  1. Great review Kelly! I've been thinking about getting a small iron and this one looks like it would be just perfect!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW So it is true-Great things do come in small packages.. Love your hot iron cleaner too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for the Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner...that stuff is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your review, and am always interested in the notions out there, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always do such great reviews on the products and use them in ways, we know we shouldn't but do, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little iron. It looks like it works bettern than my "good" iron.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I just have to ask. What is the "polymer clay" use for this iron? I didn't see it in the review or on their website. We who also craft polymer clay would really love to know about this use!

    By the way, I thought it was Wednesday for about half the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, so you got a neighbor's thermometer? Bwahahahahaha.... You forgot the "make a grilled cheese sammie with it" sales pitch.

    You crack me up. That's why I love ya!

    I like that the iron surface is totally smooth. I need something like that for my "play" ya know... I can see the worth in having one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice review. You have a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is Dave from Kandi Corp. Gene asked about the Polymer Clay use of the Handi-Iron. As you can see from the picture on the front of the box, the Handi-Iron also configures as a heated palette. At CHA earlier this year, Lisa Pavelka (the Queen of Polymer Clay) tested out the Handi-Iron and absolutely loved it for working with her polymer clay. She's using Handi-Irons in her crafting cruises.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! I've been trying to find a mini iron.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool is that! Well, pretty hot, actually, from the looks of it!! Probably as hot as it is here in South Texas! Thanks for the heads-up - looks PERfect for traveling to classes, so you don't have to cut, stand in line, sew, stand in line, sew some more, stand in line some more...I tell ya, it's just like being back in the Army!! And who knew there was such a thing as cleaner for an iron??

    All these years, that's news to me!! :) What a gem you are for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for reviewing this. I have my eye on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the wonderful review. I sure would love to know if it works well with encaustics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...