Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Monday, April 11, 2011

International Quilt Festival - Sharing the fun

Cincinnati is such a beautiful city and I had so much fun...it was like being in another state and I was only 3 hours from home.  I was so excited to meet Lois Grabowski from Lois Creates Blog.  We have been internet and blog buddies and she invited me to stay with her and I'm soooooo glad I did.  It was an absolute pleasure to spend time with her and getting to go to the show together.  This is a photo of us as we entered the show on Friday.

We look so well behaved here...but we weren't always this good :)

Of course I had to introduce Lois to Waldo (Mrs. Rosemary) and her daughter Sue.
We also had the great pleasure of meeting up with Sheila, Kay's Sister.   You may remember Kay is a dear friend from PA who lost her son in a tragic accident.  I felt like I was being greeted by an old friend.  My heart and soul enjoyed all the people this past weekend.  Lost more people to come.


Mary Ogwel, from Maendeleo Imports had a booth at the festival.  Mary happens to know the women from the Amani Ya Juu and she was sharing some stories with me.  You may recall many bloggers teamed up with IHAN to raise money for the purchase of a mid-arm quilting machine that was needed last year.  If you don't remember...click here : )

The fabrics stir something in me that I can't describe.  They are foreign in appearance in that I don't typically see these types of designs.  They call to me....like a story unfolding....about another people far from my home with wonderful creative talents...lives, hopes, dreams and families.

 Mary travels selling these fabrics, baskets, bags and mud clothes. 

All our hand made items are made by the women in various villages in Africa. Our goal is to help as many women as possible to get out of poverty.This enables them to educate their daughters, buy food and medicine. Maendeleo owner travels to East Africa more often and trains the women on how to start small businesses

By purchasing any of the baskets, hand dyed fabrics and batiks , you are helping us help the women of Africa to step forward to get out of poverty.
                                                                                Copied from Maendeleo Imports Website

I need another basket like I need a elephant in my living-room.  However, I absolutely could not pass up this beautiful basket.  I will gladly give away one of my baskets to be able to have this lovely basket in my home.  Another little piece of Africa here in Ohio.  Before I die, I pray I get to visit the women who make these beautiful things.  I would love to be able to contribute more ....not only in Africa....but everywhere.  We all need to be able to feed ourselves and our children.  In the larger world it is unfortunately common that women are dependent on men for their well being.  Female Interdependence may just be a way to have a larger impact on our world and its' well being.  
I purchased these fabrics from Mary.  It was a difficult decision I have to tell you....I wanted them all.  Clearly I don't know what I'm going to do with them.....I rarely know what I'm going to do with those "must have" fabrics.  One thing for sure.....I will love what ever I make with them and I will smile when I look at them.

Lots more to post about....more soon!

Smiles,
Kelly

10 comments:

  1. We had fun, didn't we? I love the quilting community, such wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabrics, I love the looks of african batiks and the colors are fun to work with.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the trip to Cincinnati. Love the basket!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly--I was so glad that we bumped into you at the quilt show. I've been wanting to meet you in person for a long time. One thing I love about quilting is it brings so many people together in a world that seems to want to build walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy things that support the women and help them get out of poverty too... and send them as gifts to friends back home, mostly embroideries.

    I know just what you mean about the fabrics... I can't even pick out one let alone several!!!

    Let me know when you're up for a little longer trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary's story is inspiring, and the fabrics are gorgeous! Looks like you had tons of fun! Glad you made it home safely!
    Jacque in SC
    quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That "Lois" seems like such a great person...I can tell from all our comments back and forth in emails. How nice that you got to stay with her and go to the show together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, I am so happy that you were able to make it to the show in Cincinnati. I was going but work had other plans for me. I know Mary and I absolutely love her fabrics and baskets. I too have way too many. Enjoy your purchases. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why you had to have that basket, it's just gorgeous! I love those fabrics too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful and amazing fabrics!!! I'd have gotten some, too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...