Announcement!

I Have A Notion blog and store have moved to:


the store can be found at


There is a much easier to navigate store, with new items. The blog has its own page as well... new content too.

The blog is now at www.ihaveanotion.com/blog

Please come and visit!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thrifty Gift Ideas

I find it difficult to get gifts for some of my family members and friends for birthdays and holidays. I've moved away from the traditional gift giving .... get a list....buy from the list etc. Since most people I know have their "needs" met I decided to make gift giving more of a creative adventure. For example:

Calendars such as these from I Have A Notion:





I guess I mention these first because I love Calendars. Some of these even have patterns included....really makes the price extremely reasonable given you get two gifts in one.
Last year, my girlfriend and I decided to restrict gifts to things that have been previously used, purchased from a garage sale or rummage sale, re-purposed items, handmade/homemade things and things we got free. We had the best time thinking of wonderful gifts like these. I know it is not the best thing for the economy right now....but why not try it for yourself?
I gave Rachel a beautiful nightgown....it was really pretty. She opened the gift and was just thrilled....then I said....how much do you think I paid for that....(she is like me....gets a huge charge out of paying almost nothing for something wonderful)? I paid 1.00 at a church rummage sale and the tags were still on it. I could have and would have easily paid 40.00 for the nightgown....but I loved giving it to her and I paid 1.00. This makes the gift giving adventure more thoughtful....because you have to search high and low to make sure your gift fits into the category.
I'd love to hear your experiences like these....or if you decide to do this as well....please leave a comment and if there are enough....I'll publish a chapter on fun gift giving ideas.
Thrifty Smiles,
Kelly
PS....did you know I Have A Notion has a gift registery and gift certificates? We do!!!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute. Lovely selection of calendars. I have a friend that is really into roosters so I'll share with her insights on the cute rooster calendar.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I love to re-gift. Our definition of re-gifting is that it has to be something we have used ourselves and are passing along to someone else; or, it is something we have found at a yard sale or thrift shop to give as a gift. Unfortunately, a lot of people in our extended family don't appreciate that it is the thought that counts--they want gifts that are new and expensive or they make fun or are completely rude to the giver. So, we stopped giving gifts to those people, and only give gifts of love to people who really appreciate what we give as tokens of our love for them.

    I also make a lot of things to give as gifts, and was both shocked and hurt to find that some people don't appreciate hand made gifts, either. I truly do not understand the attitude.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading the IHAN Blog. I love getting and reading every comment that is left here; however I may not be able to respond to all comments left during giveaways. There are times when I am juggling many tasks at one time and may not reply to all comments. Please e-mail me at quiltnotions@gmail.com if you need a reply quickly. I thank you for your understanding and-
More Later-Beth

Translate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...